I finally cooked the dried egg noodles I bought. I had meant to buy instant noodles. But maybe getting married made me think that instant anything is just too easy and I gotta aim higher. Noodles sans seasoning is a good way to start.
Then for two weeks I shunned cooking it and thought: I could secretly throw it away and pretend I never overestimated my culinary skills. Graham doesn’t need to know! But I kept on hoping…
Finally this morning with bread as a back-up plan, I attempted to fry the noodles. The instructions on the back of the packet says fry with 1/2 cup (!!) of cooking oil. That’s disgusting so I made up my own recipe on the go:
- Fry sliced garlic and sliced chili (remove seeds).
- Add carrots (or whatever vegetables you have).
- Add Nissin Egg Noodles Mee Poh.
- Add hot water and cover the pan to let it simmer.
- Add fish sauce, dark soya sauce, salt and sugar.
- Remove from pan and heat up some oil to fry egg.
- Beat 2 eggs and fry it.
- When it’s semi-done, return fried noodles to pan.
- Fry around!
(Isn’t that the worst recipe you’ve ever seen? I don’t usually measure what I put in.)
I like surprising Graham at breakfast, it’s my little game. Today I surprised myself too. The noodle was tasty! Maybe it’s the fish sauce. I don’t know. But have fun!